* 625 g (1 1/4 lb) firm cepes or large open mushrooms
* 50 ml (2 fl oz) olive oil
* 500 g (1 lb) sausagemeat
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 50 g (2 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
* milk, for soaking
* 6 slices of Bayonne ham
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Trim stalks from mushrooms and chop stalks finely. Heat half the oil in a saucepan. Add mushroom stalks and cook 2-3 minutes. Add sausagemeat, garlic, parsley and thyme. Cook over a moderate heal until lightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, soak the breadcrumbs in a little milk. Squeeze out any excess milk and add to the sausagemeat mixture, blending well.
3. Line a greased ovenproof dish with two slices of ham. Top with a little of the sausagemeat mixture and a layer of mushrooms. Continue layering in this way, seasoning between each layer, finishing with a layer of overlapping mushrooms. Sprinkle with the remaining oil. Cover and bake in a preheated oven, 220°C (425°F), Gas Mark 7, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.