Mushroom & wild rice soup
* 1/2 oz (15 g) dried wild mushrooms
* 250 ml (8 fl oz) boiling water
* 50 g (2 oz) wild rice
* 75 g (5 oz) onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 250 g (8 oz) open cup mushrooms, chopped
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) cold water
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cover dried mushrooms with the boiling water and soak 20 minutes. Drain, reserve soaking water. Rinse mushrooms, then chop. Strain soaking water through sieve lined with kitchen paper. Set mushrooms and soaking water aside.
2. Put the wild rice in a saucepan of salted cold water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, fry the onion in the oil in another pan until a rich brown colour. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, add fresh and dried mushrooms with their soaking water, the herbs and the cold water. Bring to boil, cover, simmer 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Drain rice, add to soup, season to taste and serve hot.