Mushroom & hazelnut soup
* 25 g (1 oz) butter
* 375 g (12 oz) closed cup mushrooms, sliced
* 25 g (1 oz) ground hazelnuts
* 600 ml (1 pint) vegetable or chicken stock
* 450 ml (3/4 pint) milk
* 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
* 3 tablespoons single cream
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the mushrooms and stir over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the juices run. Put the lid on the pan and simmer gently in the juices for 5 minutes. Take out 2 tablespoons of the mushrooms and reserve for garnishing later.
2. Stir the hazelnuts into the mushrooms in the pan, then add the stock, milk and nutmeg, and season to taste. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3. Blend the soup in a liquidizer or food processor until smooth. Return to the rinsed-out pan, stir in the cream and the reserved cooked mushrooms and reheat gently until piping hot but not boiling. Adjust the seasoning to taste, and serve.