Mixed Fruit Kebabs
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh orange juice
* juice of 2 lemons
* 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
* 1 pear, peeled, cored and cut into 8 sections
* 2 small firm bananas, peeled and each cut into 4 chunks
* 2 slices of fresh or canned pineapple, cut into sizeable chunks
* 8 pitted cherries or deseeded grapes
* 4 small pieces of preserved stem ginger
* 2 tablespoons melted honey
* demerara sugar, for sprinkling
* 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
* 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
* 4 tablespoons boiling water
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream, whipped
1. To make the coconut cream, mix the desiccated coconut with the boiling water. Leave to stand for 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve, pressing down on the coconut to extract the flavour. Whisk the 'coconut milk' into the thickly whipped cream. This can be prepared in advance.
2. Mix the orange juice with the lemon juice and caster sugar. Add the pear, bananas, pineapple, cherries and ginger, and stir until evenly coated in the fruit juice mixture - this will prevent any unnecessary discoloration of the pear and bananas.
3. Drain the fruits thoroughly and thread alternately on to 4 kebab skewers. Put the fruit kebabs on the grid of a preheated barbecue. Brush with melted honey and sprinkle with demerara sugar and almonds. Cook over the hot coals for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden. Serve the fruit kebabs immediately with the coconut cream.