* 2 large Spanish onions
* 2 green peppers
* 2 red peppers
* 2 large firm ripe tomatoes
* 1 large aubergine
* 3 firm courgettes, halved lengthways
* 12 large firm mushrooms
* about 200 ml (1/3 pint) olive oil
* salt and pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Remove the outer skin from the onion, leaving the point intact. Cut in half horizontally. Trim the stalk end of each pepper neatly. Halve the tomatoes horizontally. Cut the aubergine in half lengthways, score the flesh, without cutting through the skin, and sprinkle generously with salt. Leave to drain upside down on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
2. Brush the cut surface of the onion with olive oil and place, cut-side down, on the preheated barbecue. Brush the peppers with olive oil and place on the barbecue grill. Once the skin is charred, turn them so that another surface is in contact with the grill. Continue turning the peppers as each side becomes charred. Remove and cool.
3. Once they have cooled enough to handle, peel the peppers and cut them into strips, discarding the seeds. Put the strips into a bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and the parsley.
4. When the cut surfaces of the onion are charred, turn them over, making sure that they do not collapse, and move them to the edge of the barbecue grill. Once the onions are charred all over and tender, cut them into chunks, discarding any parts that are very black. Add the onion to the peppers, stirring in a little extra oil.
5. Brush the cut surfaces of the tomatoes with oil and place, cut-side down, on the grill. As soon as the flesh becomes slightly charred, turn them over.
6. Rinse the aubergine halves and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Brush the cut surfaces with oil and place, cut-side down, on the barbecue grill; once the skin is dark brown, brush them with oil once again and turn them over. The aubergine is cooked when the centre flesh is creamy and tender. (It will become bitter if over-cooked.)
7. When the tomatoes and aubergines are almost done, dip the courgette halves in oil and place them, cut-side down, on the barbecue grill. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then turn over. Dip the whole mushrooms in oil and add to the grill. Cook for 3 minutes.
8. When the mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes and aubergines are all cooked, transfer them to a shallow serving dish, and serve with the cold onions and peppers.