Mini veal schnitzel with rosti
* 4 veal escalopes (approximately 275 g / 9 1/2 oz)
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* flour for coating
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* seasoned breadcrumbs
* vegetable oil for frying
* 1 small onion, peeled
* 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) potatoes, peeled
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 50 g (2 oz) butter
1. For the veal, place the escalopes between plastic wrap and flatten with a mallet until they are quite thin. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and then coat in flour. Dip in the egg and then into the seasoned breadcrumbs. Then saute the escalopes in the vegetable oil for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
2. For the rosti, grate the onion and potatoes and then mix with the crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper. Take a small handful, squeeze out the excess liquid and saute in the butter for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Serves: 4 portions