Mini shepherd's pie
* 300 g (10 oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
* 100 g (4 oz) carrots, peeled and sliced
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 25 g (1 oz) peeled and chopped onion
* 100 g (4 oz) lean minced beef or lamb
* 1 tomato, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
* 1 tsp tomato ketchup
* 150 ml (5 fl oz) unsalted chicken stock
* 15 g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter
* 2 tbsp your baby's usual milk
1. Put the potatoes and carrots into a saucepan, pour over boiling water and cook the vegetables until tender (about 20 minutes). Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan and saute the onion until softened.Add the minced meat and saute, stirring occasionally, until browned all over.Add the chopped tomato and ketchup and pour over the stock. Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes. When the potatoes and carrots are cooked, drain them and return to the saucepan together with the butter and milk, and mash with a potato masher or potato ricer until smooth. Mix the minced meat with the mashed potato and carrot.
2. For young babies, puree the minced meat in a food processor before mixing it with the mashed potato and carrot.As your baby gets a little older make this into a mini-shepherd's pie and decorate with a face made from vegetables.
Serves: 2 portions