* 250 g (8 oz) dried chickpeas
* 250 g (8 oz) dried red kidney beans
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 250 g (8 oz) minced beef
* 1 green pepper, cored, deseeded and chopped
* 1 x 425 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
* 450 ml (3/4 pint) beef stock
* 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
* pinch of salt
* garlic or herb bread, to serve
1. Put the chickpeas and kidney beans in a bowl and then cover with cold water. Leave to soak overnight.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion until softened. Add the minced beef and then cook, stirring, until browned. Add the green pepper, tomatoes with their juice, drained chickpeas and kidney beans, beef stock, chilli powder and salt. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes, then cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Cool slightly and then blend in a liquidizer or food processor. Add a little stock or water if the soup is too thick. Reheat gently and serve with hot garlic or herb bread.