* 750 g (1 1/2 lb) leeks, halved, washed, and cut into 5 cm (2 inch) lengths
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 4 large tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
* grated rind of 1/2 lemon
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 10 black olives, pitted and halved
* salt and pepper
1. Parboil the prepared leeks for 2 minutes in a large pan of salted boiling water. Drain well, then pat dry with kitchen paper and brush with a little olive oil.
2. Place the leeks on an oiled grid over a preheated barbecue and grill over hot coals for about 3-4 minutes, turning once or twice.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until thickened. Add the lemon rind and juice and the olives and cook for a few more minutes. You can do this on the barbecue on the side over the less intense heat, if wished.
4. Serve the hot leeks with the sauce poured over them, or chill and serve cold as a starter.