Granny's apple tart
* All-in-One Shortcrust Pastry, made with
* 350g (12 oz) flour etc.
* 450g (1 lb) cooking apples
* 50g (2 oz) sugar
* Water and castor sugar, to glaze
OVEN: Pre-heat to fairly hot (200°C, 400°F, Gas No. 6)
SHELF: Second from top
1. Have ready an ungreased 20cm (8 inch) tart plate.
2. Make pastry.
3. Roll out half the pastry thinly into a round large enough to line the tart plate. Lift on rolling pin, place over plate. Press down gently. Trim off excess pastry.
4. Peel, core and slice apples. Place on lined plate in layers and sprinkle each layer with sugar, finishing with a layer of fruit. Brush outside edge with water.
5. Roll out trimmings with remaining pastry to a round large enough for the top. Lift on rolling pin, place over apples and press around edge to seal.
6. Trim off surplus pastry. Flake and flute edges, and make a hole in the centre for steam to escape.
7. Brush top with water and sprinkle with castor sugar.
8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-45 minutes.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 35-45 mins
Freezing note: Freezes well before or after baking, wrapped in foil.
Dutch Apple Tart
AT STAGE 4: Put 125g (4 oz) sultanas in layers with apples and sugar.
Lemon Apple Tart
AT STAGE 4: Mix finely grated rind of 1 lemon with apples.
Spiced Apple Tart
AT STAGE 4: Use demerara sugar mixed with 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) mixed spice or cinnamon.
AT STAGE 4: Use 6-8 x 15ml spoons (6-8 tablespoons) mincemeat instead of apples and sugar.
Rhubarb and Ginger Tart
AT STAGE 4: Instead of apples prepare 450g (1 lb) rhubarb and cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces. Mix 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) ground ginger with sugar.
Mix 50-75g (2-3 oz) chopped preserved ginger with sliced rhubarb.