First fish puree
* 150 g (5 oz) carrots, peeled and sliced
* 25 g (1 oz) frozen peas
* 15 g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter
* 1 tbsp flour
* 25 g (1 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
* 150 g (4 1/2 oz) plaice (flounder) fillets, skinned
* 1 bay leaf
* sprig of parsley
* 150 ml (5 fl oz) milk
1. Put the fillets of fish into a saucepan together with the peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley and pour over the milk. Simmer until the fish is cooked (about 5 minutes). Strain and reserve the cooking liquid but discard the peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley.
2. Put the carrots into a saucepan and pour over 300 ml (10 fl oz) boiling water. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes. Drain, reserving rhe water.
3. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour to make a roux, then gradually whisk in the reserved cooking liquid from the fish. Bring to the boil and then simmer until thickened (1 to 2 minutes). Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Mix in the drained vegetables and the flaked fish, checking to make sure there are no bones. Blend to a smooth puree for young babies and, if necessary, you can add a little more milk or some of the cooking water from the carrots and peas to thin it out.
Serves: 4 portions