Fennel with mushrooms
* 2 heads fennel, each about 300 g (10 oz), trimmed and quartered lengthways
* 125 g (4 oz) closed cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
* 25 g (1 oz) butter
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* fennel leaves, to garnish
1. Cook the fennel quarters in salted boiling water to cover for 5-6 minutes until almost tender. Drain well.
2. Arrange the pieces of fennel in a well-buttered shallow casserole. Scatter the mushrooms over them and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix together the lemon juice, water, sugar and parsley and pour into the casserole. Dot with small pieces of butter.
3. Cover and cook near the top of a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 20 minutes. Remove the cover, baste with the juices, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Garnish with fennel leaves.