Farmhouse vegetable soup
* 25g (1 oz) Stork margarine
* 2 onions, peeled and chopped
* 4 rashers bacon, de-rinded and chopped
* 1 turnip, peeled and diced
* 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
* 3 carrots, peeled and diced
* 1 leek, sliced
* 1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) tomato puree
* 1.3 litres (2 1/4 pints) stock
* 25g (1 oz) pearl barley
* 1/8 green cabbage, shredded
* Salt and ground black pepper
* Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Melt Stork in a large pan and saute onion and bacon for 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Add remaining vegetables, except cabbage, and saute for 5 minutes. Add tomato puree, stock and pearl barley and stir well.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes, until vegetables are really tender.
4. Add cabbage and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Season to taste. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins