Egg & mushroom salad
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 375 g (12 oz) button or closed cup mushrooms
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin or dried tarragon (optional)
* 1 crisp lettuce, cut into thick slices
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) cultured buttermilk or natural yogurt
* 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
* freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the lemon juice in a bowl and thinly slice the mushrooms directly into the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Add the cumin or tarragon, if using, and toss well. Drain, reserving any juice.
2. Divide the lettuce slices between four plates. Spoon the mushrooms on top, then mix the lemon juice left in the bowl with the buttermilk of yogurt and the chopped eggs. Spoon the mixture over the mushrooms.
3. Sprinkle each salad generously with black pepper and leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving, to allow the flavours to blend.