Flaky or Rough Puff Pastry made with
* 250g (8 oz) flour etc.
* Milk and castor sugar, to glaze
* 25g (1 oz) Stork margarine
* 1 x 15ml spoon (I tablespoon) soft brown sugar
* 125g (4oz) currants
* 50g (2 oz) mixed peel
* 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) mixed spice
OVEN: Pre-heat to hot (220°C, 425°F, Gas No. 7)
SHELF: Second from top
1. Have ready a baking sheet.
2. Make pastry.
3. For filling: Melt Stork in a saucepan, stir in other ingredients and leave to cool.
4. Roll out pastry, fairly thinly. Cut into rounds with well-floured 8.5cm (3 1/2 inch) plain cutter.
5. Place 1 x 10ml spoon (1 dessertspoon) of filling in centre of each round.
6. Dampen edges with water, then gather together over filling and press together at top to seal.
7. Turn cakes over so that sealed edges are underneath. Roll each gently into a round flat shape.
8. Place on baking sheet. Leave to rest in refrigerator or cold place for at least 15 minutes.
9. Make three slits across the top of each. Brush with milk and sprinkle thickly with castor sugar.
10. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire tray
Makes: 16 Eccles Cakes.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
Freezing note: Eccles Cakes freeze well, either before of after baking.