Crispy cheese, cabbage and potato bake
* 25 g (1 oz) butter
* 1 large or 2 medium onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
* 150 ml (5 fl oz) single cream
* 675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
* 200 g (7 oz) shredded green cabbage
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 75 g (3 oz) Cheddar cheese
* 75 g (3 oz) grated Gruyere cheese
* 300 ml (10 fl oz) full-fat milk
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and cook the onion until softened. Cover the base of an 18 x 28 cm (7 x 11 in) baking dish with a thin layer of cream, then with a layer of potatoes and cabbage sprinkled with salt and pepper and spoon one-third of the onions on top. Mix together the cheeses and sprinkle one-third of the mixture over the onions.
2. Continue with two more layers of potato, cabbage, onions and cheese. Mix the milk together with the remaining cream and pour over the potato mixture. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes more, until golden and crispy on top.Test with a knife to make sure the potatoes are soft.
Serves: 6 portions