Chicken and Coconut Curry
* 4oz (100g) desiccated coconut
* 3/4 pint (450ml) boiling water
* 4 chicken leg portions, skinned
* 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
* 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, or to taste
* 2 tablespoons cooking oil
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 3 mild green chillies, finely chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and ground cardamom
* 3/4 pint (450ml) hot chicken stock
* freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon desiccated or shredded coconut to serve
1. Measure the coconut into a bowl and add the boiling water. Leave on one side for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, rub the chicken legs with the grated ginger and the curry powder, then heat the cooking oil in a microproof dish large enough to take the chicken and the rest of the ingredients - on full power for about 1 minute. Add the chicken, any remaining ginger and curry powder, then the onion, garlic, chillies and spices.
2. Cover with pierced clear film or a lid, then cook on full power for 5 minutes; turn the chicken pieces over and add stock and seasoning to taste. Cook on full power for a further 5 minutes. Turn and rearrange the chicken, then strain over the coconut 'milk'. Cover with pierced clear film or a lid and cook on full power for 5 minutes.
3. Lift out the chicken on to a heated serving dish, spoon over the sauce and sprinkle with extra desiccated or shredded coconut. Serve with saffron-flavoured boiled rice.
Power Level: Full
Cooking Time: 16 Minutes