Cheesy walnut bread
* 350g (12 oz) strong white flour, sieved
* 125g (4 oz) plain wholemeal flour
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) salt
* 50g (2 oz) Stork margarine
* 3/4 sachet Easy Blend yeast
* 275ml (1/2 pint) warm milk or half warm water, half milk
* 25g (1 oz) Stork margarine, melted
* 125g (4 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
* 25g (1 oz) walnuts, finely chopped
* Milk, to glaze
OVEN: Pre-heatto fairly hot(200°C, 400°F, Gas No. 6)
SHELF: Second from top
1. Place flours and salt in a large bowl. Rub in Stork until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add yeast and stir well.
3. Add liquid and stir until a soft dough forms (you may need to add a little exra warm water).
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead thoroughly until smooth, approximately 10 minutes. Shape into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with oiled polythene and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
5. Turn dough out and knock down. Knead until smooth and firm.
6. Roll out to an oblong about 30 x 23cm (12 x 9 inch).
7. Brush with the melted Stork and sprinkle over the cheese and walnuts. Roll up from the longest side and dampen edge to seal.
8. Cut into 9 slices. Place in a greased 18-20cm (7-8 inch) square tin, cut side uppermost.
9. Brush the top with milk. Cover with oiled polythene and leave to prove for about 30 minutes, in a warm place.
10. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 30-45 minutes until risen and golden.
Serve as accompaniment to soup or salad.
Makes: 9 buns.
Preparation time: 25 mins (excluding rising and proving)
Cooking time: 30-45 mins