Bread with sesame or poppy seeds
* 1/2 pint (300ml) water
* 2 teaspoons dried yeast
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 8oz (225g) wholewheat flour
* 8oz (22 5g) strong plain white flour
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1oz (25g) lard
* a little beaten egg, to glaze
* sesame or poppy seeds
1. Measure the water into a jug and heat on full power for about 1 minute until warm. Stir in the yeast and the sugar and leave in a warm place until beginning to froth.
2. Measure the flours, salt and fat into a large bowl and rub in the fat. Add the yeast liquid to the flour and mix to an elastic dough. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. (This can be done in a processor and will need 1 minute of processing.) Place in a bowl, cover with greased clear film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
3. Turn out of the bowl, 'knock back' the dough, shape into a 'loaf' and lift into a lightly oiled 1lb (450g) microproof loaf container. Cover with the clear film and leave in a warm place until the dough has risen to the top of the container. Glaze with a little beaten egg and sprinkle with a few seeds. Cook on full power for 4 minutes. Leave to stand for 1 minute, then turn out of the container and allow to cool on a rack.
Power Level: Full
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Makes: a 1lb (450g) loaf