Brazil mushroom casserole
* 500 g (1 lb) chestnut mushrooms
* 4 tomatoes, sliced
* 4 spring onions, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
* 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
* 4 tablespoons dry white wine or stock
* 125 g (4 oz) Brazil nuts, coarsely ground
* 50 g (2 oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange the mushrooms, tomatoes and spring onions in layers in a casserole dish, sprinkling each layer with the fresh herbs and seasoning to taste. Pour on the wine or stock.
2. Mix the nuts and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake in a preheated oven, 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5, for 25-30 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the topping is browned. Serve hot.