* 15 g (1/2 oz) butter
* 50 g (2 oz) rindless bacon, chopped
* 750 g (1 1/2 lb) chanterelles (if unavailable, use shiitake or chestnut mushrooms), rinsed, trimmed and halved if large
* 2 teaspoons plain flour
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) beef stock
* 125 mi (4 fl oz) dry red wine
* 1 parsley sprig, chopped
* salt pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the chanterelles to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the stock and red wine. Season with salt to taste and the cayenne pepper. Return the bacon to the pan and simmer over a low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley and serve immediately.