Bacon and Spinach Soup
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
* 6 oz (175g) streaky bacon, de-rinded and chopped
* 1 lb (450g) frozen spinach, thawed
* 1 oz (25g) flour
* 3/4 pint (450ml) milk
* 3/4 pint (450ml) chicken stock
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 pint (150ml) single cream
1. Put the onion into a microproof bowl, measure in the oil and add the bacon. Mix well. Cover with a lid or pierced clear film and cook on full power for 5 minutes. Add the spinach, cover again, and cook on medium power for 5 minutes.
2. Stir the flour into the spinach and mix well, then gradually blend into the milk and stock. Add the Worcestershire sauce and seasoning, cover and cook on full power for 5 minutes. Stir well, then return to the cooker on medium power for a further 10 minutes.
3. Puree the soup in a processor or blender. Return to the bowl, and heat, uncovered, on full power for 5 minutes, or until piping hot. Taste to check the seasoning, then stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the cream.
4. Turn into a tureen and swirl the remaining cream over the top. Serve at once.
Power Level: Full and Medium
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes