Bacon and Onion Quiche
* 6oz (175g) plain flour
* 1 1/2 oz (40g) lard
* 1 1/2 oz (40g) margarine
* about 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 pint (300ml) single cream
* 4oz (100g) well-flavoured Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
* 4oz (100g) rindless streaky bacon, chopped
* 1 onion, chopped
* freshly ground black pepper
1. Measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the fats until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sufficient water to mix to a firm dough. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line an 8 inch (20cm) ceramic flan dish. Prick the base well with a fork and chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Line the flan with a piece of kitchen paper and cook in the microwave on full power for 3 1/2 minutes.
2. Whilst the flan case is still hot, brush evenly with a little of the beaten egg to seal the pastry. Stir the cream into the remaining egg. Set the conventional oven to 350F (180C) gas mark 4.
3. Arrange the slices of cheese in the flan case. Put the bacon into a microproof bowl and cook in the microwave on full power for 3 minutes; lift out with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over the cheese. Add the chopped onion to the juices left in the bowl, stir well, then cook in the microwave on full power for 3 minutes; add to the flan case. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture over and bake in the preheated conventional oven for about 30 minutes, until the filling has set and is golden brown. Serve warm with salad.
Power Level: Full
Total Cooking Time: about 40 Minutes