Beef and Potato Clock Flan
- Ready in: 45 minutes
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 125 g (4 oz) plain flour
- 75 g (3 oz) butter or margarine
- 125 g (4 oz) mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 g (8 oz) lean minced beef
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 250 g (8 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sift the flour and rub in the fat with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the mashed potato, season with salt and pepper and knead to a dough. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and then use it to line a greased 23 cm (9 inch) flan dish, reserving the trimmings.
Heat the oil and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes. Add the minced beef and cook until lightly coloured. Add the herbs, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes and tomato puree, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, and then spoon the beef mixture into the flan case.
Roll out the pastry trimmings and, using cutters or a sharp knife, cut out the numbers and hands of a clock. Arrange over the flan to resemble a clock face.
Bake the flan in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 40-45 minutes. Serve hot.