Beef & mushrooms in red wine
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 250 g (8 oz) open cup or large open mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) topside of beef or rump steak, cut into matchstick strips
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon port
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) beef stock
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Fry mushrooms in oil and butter for 2 minutes over a moderate heat, then remove. Fry the onion for 3-4 minutes, stirring once or twice.
2. Toss beef in flour mixed with salt, pepper and dried herbs. Shake off excess flour, add meat to pan. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, port, stock and wine, bring sauce to the boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer 25 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve with boiled new potatoes and fresh vegetables.