* 1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
* 200ml (8 fl oz) milk
* 125g (4 oz) Stork margarine
* 250g (9 oz) castor sugar
* 3 eggs, size 3, beaten
* 225g (8 oz) plain flour, sieved with
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda and
* 50g (2 oz) cocoa powder
* 50g (2 oz) Stork margarine
* 3 x 15ml spoons (3 tablespoons) milk
* 200g (7 oz) icing sugar, sieved
* 2 x 15ml spoons (2 tablespoons) cocoa powder
* Grated chocolate or chocolate flake
OVEN: Pre-heat to moderate (180°C, 350°F, Gas No. 4)
1. Grease and bottom line 2 x 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins.
2. Add lemon juice to the milk and set aside.
3. Cream the Stork and the sugar, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and mix well. Divide between the sandwich tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn out remove paper and cool on a wire tray.
7. Place all icing ingredients together in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water.
8. Stir until mixture is smooth and glossy.
9. Remove from heat and leave until cold.
10. Beat well until mixture is thick enough to spread.
11. Sandwich cake together with some of the icing. Spread remaining icing over the cake with a large palette knife.
12. Decorate with grated chocolate.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins