* 150g (5 oz) Stork margarine
* 6 x 15ml spoons (6 tablespoons) golden syrup
* 225g (8 oz) stoned raisins
* 225g (8 oz) currants
* 125g (4 oz) sultanas
* 125g (4 oz) stoned dates, chopped
* 125g (4 oz) mixed peel, chopped
* 150ml + 2 x 15ml spoons (1/4 pint + 2 tablespoons) milk
* 225g (8 oz) plain flour, sieved with
* 2 x 5ml spoons (2 teaspoons) mixed spice and
* 1 x 5ml spoon (I teaspoon) grated nutmeg
* Pinch of salt
* 2 eggs, size 4, beaten
* 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
OVEN: Pre-heat to slow (150°C, 300°F, Gas No. 2)
1. Prepare a deep 18cm (7 inch) round cake tin.
2. Place Stork, syrup, fruit, peel and milk in a saucepan. Heat slowly until the Stork has melted, then simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove and cool until lukewarm.
3. Place sieved dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, add eggs but do not stir.
4. Stir the bicarbonate of soda quickly into cooled mixture, add to dry ingredients, mix thoroughly, beating well.
5. Placе in prepared cake tin.
6. Bake in the pre-heated oven 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours.
7. Test before removing from oven. Remove and cool on a wire tray.
NOTE: If wrapped well and kept in an airtight container this cake will keep for 1-2 weeks.
NB: If wished, use half wholemeal, half white flour.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 15 mins - 2 hrs 30 mins